April 7, 2008

For Forbin

If I had to choose a single friend I've met in this game who has had the most profound impact on my FFXI experience, it would be Forbin. Of course, I've had plenty of other friends who shaped my time in this game, but Forb has been my constant companion, confidante, and all-around pal. We've had plenty of ups and downs, though, and there have been periods where neither one of us much wanted to talk to the other.

Maybe it's because he has the same black-haired Hume model, and because he has actually leveled PLD and worn the Ducal Guard gear, but on some level, during these times of conflict between us, I've drawn similarities in our relationship with that of Wolfgang and Monberaux. That's not to say that I haven't been the one to act more like Wolfgang than Forbatron has on several occasions, but the truth is, we're both stubborn ass-holes who don't like to back down.

Because of this, in all of CoP, there is one scene that means the most to me. It's not a scene with a lot of fancy effects and explosions, or that reveals some deep mystery of Vana'diel's history. Instead, it is the story of two friends, who despite their disagreements, continue to believe in and rely on that friendship.

Forbo… thank you for all that you've done to make FFXI more than just a game.

 

 






No comments: